Monday, 14 January 2008

Schooldays

Why do people look back on their "idyllic schooldays" in books? Some parts of school are not-so-bad, but other parts are hectic in the extreme. For example, we have an Afrikaans project due tomorrow (that we couldn't start before today), plenty of Maths homework and enough English that we "can't finish at school" - I'm only half way.

Perhaps in twenty years I'll look back and think of my wonderful schooldays, when I didn't have to worry about putting food on the table. Then again, maybe not. There is little (no?) intersection between the people who say that and the people I really respect. Schooldays are no more idyllic than the rest of life.

Perhaps I'm a little cynical, but it seems harsh to end the day by making us spend half-an-hour of homework time being told how we can spend R20 000 to wash dishes in the USA. Some people may have enjoyed it, but I would have preferred some time to work on my English homework.

Oh well, such is life. I do seem to have time to update my blog, so it can't be that bad, can it? Or maybe it can. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment