Monday, 21 January 2008

An Immortal with a Destiny

I've been reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. It's not the best I've ever read, but it is very good. It also got me thinking about some of the fantasy concepts that we always dismiss as just that: fantasy.

Immortality is one of those. Tolkien's elves are what first springs to mind. In Middle-Earth the elves will live forever, but humans are doomed to die. In real life, there's obviously no such thing as immortality. Actually, I don't believe that. I believe I'm immortal. No, you don't need to be worried about me (I don't think). That belief comes from a very specific perspective: I've trusted Jesus with my life and I know I'll live in heaven with Him for eternity. I'm not going to get any closer to immortality than that.

The second concept is destiny. There are probably more people who believe in destiny than in immortality, but I'm less certain about it. My thoughts go along the lines of: God has a plan for each of us. If we don't follow his plan will we ever be truly happy? I don't think so. In that case, couldn't I call his plan for me my destiny? It's something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment