Sunday, 28 June 2009

Over the Hills and Far Away

I will spend most of tomorrow in the car. I'll spend most of Tuesday in the car too. Then I'll get to see my mom. That will be good and definitely worth the two days in the car.

It's strange how time flies; at the beginning of the year the time between our visits to Grahamstown and her visits up here felt like forever. This time, it feels like she's only just left. I'm sure this is largely because I've been particularly busy these five weeks and it has only been five weeks. I think it's also because, for better or for worse, I'm starting to get used to it.

On the whole, I think it is for better. I'm definitely not so used to it that I'm sorry to be going down to visit her. I don't think I could ever get to that point. Right now, I'm positively excited (if in some ways a little nervous) to be going down. I'm old enough that I need to begin learning to be independent; I certainly don't want to spend my whole life living out of my parents' pockets!

I'm aware that when I get back from this holiday, my studies for this year will begin in earnest. The holiday marks a sort of changeover for me. I'm also looking forward to the National Arts Festival, which will be taking place in Grahamstown when we're there. I think we'll enjoy parts of the Arts Festival, though our focus will be on family time. It'll also be good to be aware of how busy I'll be when I get back: hopefully that'll remind me to enjoy my holiday.

I'm very much looking forward to this holiday. The only downside is that my internet time is going to be cut short. So I almost certainly won't post here as often a I might like, but I don't think that's an unreasonable sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment